Thursday, November 27, 2008

Mike Allred

excerpt from the first Madman book, that shows the dark quirkiness of the character that I miss so much.

Mike Allred. I think that he's a great illustrator. I got to read the first series of Madman around the time I was becoming very bored with mainstream comics and it really stuck with me. I knew that it was a great comic and it looked really fresh to me. I finally dug my heels into these comics and have always aspired to reach that very human quality of his line work. But I also wanted to read more comics like this.
Even now, I don't know of any comic books that are like the first Madman series. I just wish that he would have stuck with this type of story telling.
Mike Allred was hugely influential to me when I was do The ANT at first. His pop culture references and obvious love of classic superheroes lead me down a path that was similar to where Madman went. I eventually played with other styles and moved away from those interests and his work.

No comments: